The Nation Media Group, the largest independent media house in East and Central Africa with operations in print, broadcast and digital media and which attracts and serves unparalleled audiences in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda is seeking to recruit an experienced and self-motivated individual for the following position in editorial department.
Social Media Editor
This is an exciting new position that will blaze a trail for new journalism at Nation Media Group.
The NMG Social Media Editor will recognise that the new consumer of news and information does not merely want to be served the end product, but would rather participate in producing it.
Specifically, s/he will:
- Track comments about NMG’s journalism on blogs, websites, and social media, for trends, ideas and issues of importance, and to translate these into stories and draw insights to guide editors;
- Set up and coordinate NMG journalism on social media. This will involve a combination of content drawn from newspapers, websites, and require a promotion of stories that pose questions/debate, teaser for blogs, videos, photos;
- Drive user engagement including responding to public comments if necessary, in consultation with the Managing Editors and the Editorial Director;
- Create internal social media awareness within the newsrooms;
- To lead a team social media moderators in securing and sustaining a credible voice for NMG’s social media accounts.
This includes corrections and clarifications to any NMG stories that are in dispute are issued in a timely fashion online.
We are looking for a dynamic and well informed citizen to take this challenge.
We think that the ideal candidate is likely to have university education, prefer good journalism and be keen on having fun while at it.
NMG is an equal opportunity employer and minorities are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position offers an excellent career growth opportunity and a competitive remuneration package.
If you meet the above criteria, apply online at http://careers.nationmedia.com before 15th June, 2012.
Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted.